Septic systems are an important aspect of many Central Florida homes. They are wastewater treatment structures responsible for taking care of all the waste water from the building. So, everything that goes down the plumbing system, from the toilets, to the kitchen sink.
While many homeowner’s take the ‘out of sight, out of mind’ approach to maintaining their septic system, the repercussions can be devastating, with a stinky mess and costly repairs.
Approximately 25% of households in America rely on septic systems, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. That number is a little higher in Central Florida.
A septic system is comprised of a main drainage pipe, the septic tank, a drain field, perforated pipes, and ground soil. The Miami Water Keeper gives homeowner’s gives several tips they can do to protect their septic system and also lessen the impact on the environment.
• Have the system pumped out and inspected by a professional
• Grow grass or small plants above the system to hold the drain field in place
• Ensure that the system is installed so that rainfall and surface water flow away from the system
• Do not put grease or non-biodegradable materials down the toilet or sink
• Do not flush paint thinners, polyurethane, anti-freeze, pesticides, disinfectant, water softeners or other strong chemicals
• Do not flush indigestible materials such as diapers, cigarette filters, feminine products, cat litter, or plastic
• Do not plant trees within 30 feet of your system or park/drive over the system
• Do not do all machine washing in one day, this could overwhelm the system with excess wastewater
What about pumping out and repairing your own septic system?
Inspecting, repairing, and pumping the septic tank are very complex and dangerous, especially since most of it is underground. It is best left to professionals who are properly trained and licensed.
At Orlando Septic Services we are committed to providing the very best quality and customer service. Thanks to our decades of experience we can handle the most difficult sewer situations without a problem.
Orlando Septic Service is an environmentally friendly company serving Central Florida for 23 years. We are a licensed septic contractor certified with the State of Florida. Earning our reputation as an honest and reliable waste management business in the Seminole and Orange County areas.